not all yarn sizes are created equal....My bad experience substituting yarn has become a lesson learned.

I really liked this new yarn by Caron up until I found out that it is not really the size it claims to be.  It's making things shrink. Here's what I mean....I am working on an adorable baby sweater. I measured the gauge to be o.k. Now unless I measured wrong this sweater shrunk!

The pattern calls for DK weight. The yarn I bought says it's DK. After doing a little math to compare yards per ounce it seems there is a difference between the weight of the yarn called for in the pattern and the weight of my yarn, even though they are both supposed to be DK. I was getting so frustrated until I realized that it's a breakthrough in disguise. This ordeal explains some of my many inconsistencies in results after substituting yarn.

Here's a sample botched substitute:



Redheart, Loops&Threads, ICE (left to right)


The pattern calls for a yarn category 4-medium weight (70 yd per oz according to my calculation)

I tried three different category 4-medium yarns (out of pure excitement). I tried 1) ICE spiral blend 80 yd per oz, and 2) Redheart super saver 52 yd per oz, then 3) Loops & threads impeccable 61 yd per oz

THE RESULTS: 3 different size booties

MY FINAL MEASUREMENTS: 1) 3.5 inches, 2) 4 inches, 3) 4 inches

Next time I work on a pattern that calls for a particular yarn I'll just compare the yards per ounce before I choose which yarn to use.