Since my last post about my mitten craze I went back to another Craftsmart Yarn called Dusk. 30 chains crocheted with a 5.5mm hook and joined into a ring then single crocheted (sc) in rounds of 30sc yields yet another array of colors in an interesting pattern. It's a similar effect as with the mittens.  30sc seems to keep each color stacked on itself.  Another effect is a grouping of colors on one side (I call the back) versus the other side (I call the front).  There are 5 colors in total.  Three were grouped together on one side versus two on the other side.

Craftsmart in Dusk
Craftsmart Dusk colors: pink,orange, purple, green, blue

Craftsmart in Dusk
three colors on one side

Craftsmart in Dusk
two colors on the other side


Perhaps my results are related to the math that goes into making this yarn?  I don't know. I read the packaging for more details.  The yarn package 'suggests' working a 4inch by 4inch swatch (10cm by 10cm) with a 5.5mm hook.  Guess what?  my discovery swatch measures 8 inches, 4 inches in the front and 4 inches in the back. That can't be a coincidence!

Craftsmart in Canyon
Craftsmart's Canyon

Craftsmart in Canyon
Canyon's other side


Now if I could just reproduce this with rows instead, hmmm.  I'll have to see or wonder how many crochet stitches are needed to keep colors grouped together in the back and forth motion of rows versus rounds?